One of the most excruciating aspects of the college admissions process is the long wait. Applications submitted in November or December can take four to five months to yield a reply. Parents and students, unclear about the future, can find this period very stressful but for GSA students there is an easier alternative. GSA – Instant Decision Days (IDD), a process that allows GSA seniors to apply, interview and receive an admissions decision all in a single day.
GSA College Guidance Department partnered with 9 colleges to give a chance for high school students to reduce the entire admissions process (including, in some cases, financial or merit aid) to one day. During the interviews, admission officers met GSA students in person during their 1-1 interviews and GSA students had the opportunity to ask lots of questions about the school in a personal way that a traditional applications process does not allow.
Thanks to IDDs at Gateway Science Academy, all GSA seniors accepted to 4-year colleges!!
2017 – 2018 Partnering Colleges and Universities
- University of Missouri-Saint Louis
- Harris Stowe University
- Fontbonne University
- Truman State University*
- Lindenwood University
- Missouri Western State University
- Webster University
- Saint Louis University*
- Southern Illinois University – Edwardsville
What are the advantages to students of Instant Decision Day?
- High school students have an answer quickly without the long wait and the uncertainty and even anxiety that causes.
- High school counselors note that for many students, the early offer of admission is a big confidence booster as the student has an offer firmly in hand early senior year.
- Application fees are usually waived. The early process encourages students not to procrastinate.
- Students have the unusual opportunity to ask admission officers questions face to face and get answers relevant to their particular situation (far better than a website’s FAQs.).
- Admissions officers get to learn more about a student and may have a better idea if the college is a good fit.
- Students can make a single (money saving) visit to campus finding out what they need to know, including the status of their admissions.
- If students have a chance to speak with admissions officers they can make their case for admission in a more compelling way than a 500-word essay will allow.
- Sometimes students are not instantly admitted because they do not meet the criteria but are told by admissions officers specific milestones they need to reach senior year to gain admission.
- With an offer of admission in hand, students have the luxury of applying to a few “reach schools.”
- Many Instant Decision Days are conducted in the summer or early fall and an admitted student had a far less stressful senior year.
*Students will receive their acceptance letters from SLU and Truman State University in November